ICOR Resolution: The people of Peru have spoken! Resignation of President Merino after only 5 days!
Written by: ICOR on 8 December 2020
On November 9, 2020, the right and ultra-right parties in the Peruvian parliament had deposed the non-party president Martin Vizcarra by a large majority. This parliamentary coup was carried out by the old traditional and modern right wing parties AP, APP, FUERZA POPULAR (Fujimori), APRA, FREPAP. The procedure was secretly coordinated with the "left" sectors of the FA and UPP.
Immediately afterwards, mass struggles developed throughout the country.
The youth, the workers, the miners experienced in struggle, the women courageously took to the streets. Even in the smallest villages. They cannot be driven out. Despite water cannons and rubber bullets and dead. In spite of the restrictions imposed by the Covid-19 pandemic.
The indignation is huge about the government's inability to protect the people in the Covid-19 pandemic, about the ailing health system, about the social hardship. Promised government aid for the consequences of the Covid-19 pandemic disappeared in corrupt pockets. Peru, with its population of just 31 million people, 932,000 infected and over 35,000 dead by August, had the highest death rate in the world in terms of population.
Less than five days and the new president Merino had to leave. In any case, no one believed that the deposition of Vizcarra would be the beginning of the fight against rampant corruption. A corruption trial is underway against his 5-day successor, as well as against the majority of parliamentarians. Many former presidents and high politicians sit in detention, fled into exile or committed suicide to evade responsibility. In the protests the demand for a new constitution is being voiced.
The ICOR organization "Bloque Democratico Popular (Democratic People's Bloc)"/Peru distributed a political declaration condemning the coup on November 12 and called for the demonstrations.
The appeal reads: "In the face of the world economic and financial crisis, of the coronavirus crisis and of the ecological crisis, the BDP is working for a solution that gets to the root of the things that the capitalist elite is focusing on, in order to defeat hunger and poverty, the health catastrophe, save the environment and offer the youth a future with a socialist perspective. José Carlos Mariátegui's slogan is more valid today than ever: 'A new Peru in a new world. The united people will never be defeated'.”
The mass movement in Peru stands side by side with determined struggles and workers' strikes in many Latin American countries: Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Colombia.
Strengthen the ICOR as a reliable and internationally united force in these struggles!
Solidarity with the mass movement in Peru!
Release of all those arrested in the recent demonstrations!
Those responsible for the three people murdered in the protests and for the 18 partially seriously injured must be called to account!
ICOR supports the struggle for freedom, democracy, socialism!
Long live international solidarity! Long live the ICOR!
Signatories (as of 04 December 2020, further signatories possible):
1. PCPCI Parti Communiste Proletarien de Côte d'Ivoire (Proletarian Communist Party of Ivory Coast)
2. UPC-Manidem Union des Populations du Cameroun - Manifeste National pour l’Instauration de la Démocratie (Union of Populations of Cameroon - National Manifesto for the Establishment of Democracy)
3. CPK Communist Party of Kenya
4. MMLPL Moroccan Marxist-Leninist Proletarian Line
5. CPSA (ML) Communist Party of South Africa (Marxist-Leninist)
6. PCT Parti Comuniste du Togo (Communist Party of Togo)
7. PPDS Parti Patriotique Démocratique Socialiste (Patriotic Democratic Socialist Party), Tunisia
8. CPB Communist Party of Bangladesh
9. SPB Socialist Party of Bangladesh
10. CPI (ML) Red Star Communist Party of India (Marxist-Leninist) Red Star
11. PPRF Patriotic Peoples Republican Front of Nepal
12. NDMLP New-Democratic Marxist-Leninist Party, Sri Lanka
13. CPA/ML Communist Party of Australia (Marxist-Leninist)
14. БКП Българска Комунистическа Партия (Bulgarian Communist Party)
15. PR-ByH Partija Rada - ByH (Party of Labor - Bosnia and Herzegovina)
16. MLPD Marxistisch-Leninistische Partei Deutschlands (Marxist-Leninist Party of Germany)
17. Symp.PFLP Sympathisanten der PFLP (Sympathisers of the PFLP), Germany
18. UCLyon Unité Communiste Lyon (Communist United Lyon), France
19. UPML Union Prolétarienne Marxiste-Léniniste (Marxist-Leninist Proletarian Union), France
20. BP (NK-T) Bolşevik Parti (Kuzey Kürdistan-Türkiye) (Bolshevik Party (North Kurdistan-Turkey))
21. KOL Kommunistische Organisation Luxemburg (Communist Organization of Luxemburg)
22. RM Rode Morgen (Red Dawn), Netherlands
23. MLGS Marxistisch-Leninistische Gruppe Schweiz (Marxist-Leninist Group of Switzerland)
24. TIKB Türkiye İhtilalci Komünistler Birliği (Union of Revolutionary Communists of Turkey)
25. MLKP Marksist Leninist Komünist Parti Türkiye / Kürdistan (Marxist Leninist Communist Party Turkey / Kurdistan)
26. KSRD Koordinazionnyj Sowjet Rabotschewo Dvizhenija (Coordination Council of the Workers Class Movement), Ukraine
27. PCC-M Partido Comunista de Colombia – Maoista (Communist Party of Colombia - Maoist)
28. NPCH (ML) Nouveau Parti Communiste Haϊtien (Marxiste-Léniniste) (New Communist Party of Haiti (Marxist-Leninist))
29. PCP (independiente) Partido Comunista Paraguayo (independiente) (Paraguayan Communist Party (independent))
30. BDP Bloque Democratico Popular (Popular Democratic Bloc), Peru
31. PC (ML) Partido Comunista (Marxista Leninista) (Communist Party (Marxist-Leninist)), Dominican Republic
Print Version - new window Email article